Friday, June 15, 2012

asking the right question

I can't base what I am about to say on scientific research or any sort of poll, but my guess is there are plenty of people out there who would like to go or have thought about going on a missions trip but ultimately decide not to.  And the reason?  Fundraising.  (Insert ominous sounding music here).

We discussed plenty of different topics at our first PNG meeting, but the main focus was fundraising.  Probably because we each have a goal to raise $4300, with half of that due the first part of July.  Of course, that made us each take a good look at the calendar and then take a deep breath.  John Wood, who is leading our meetings and is one of the pastors at SV, led us through many practical issues, breaking down our responsibilities into manageable tasks.  But the most meaningful accomplishment for me during the meeting was a realignment of my responsibility regarding finances. 

At the top of a worksheet in our short-term missions manual (I love that we have a short-term missions manual...it makes me want to refer to it with initials.  From now on, it will be known as S-TMM), there is an important comment.  It says something like: Don't ask, "Who will support me?"  Only God knows that.  Ask instead, "Who ought to hear about my ministry?" 

The more I thought about this statement, the more liberated I became.  We think we are responsible for making sure there are funds to cover our trip.  But the truth is, like most things I like to take over, that is God's job.  I believe that I am supposed to be on this trip, so what makes me even consider that he would not make sure that I go?  Instead of focusing on trying to convince people to give money without trying to pressure anyone, it became more of an exercise of sharing this exciting experience. 

The process of writing the information letter became more like doing a Christmas letter in June.  Not sure how you feel about sending Christmas greetings, but I rather enjoy it, assuming I have provided myself enough time to do a thorough job.  Tonight, when I sent out some emails, I found myself basking in my rich life...rich with relationships.  There are people from all eras of my life, and even though I didn't get a chance to write a personal note, I did recall each person with affection and often a unique memory or two. 

It has been great to hear back from some people already.  It is humbling to be entrusted with God's work by people who love him and me.  When I signed up for this trip, I expected it to be a stretching one, one that changed me.  I just forgot to count on being changed months ahead of time. 

Can't wait to read what comes next in the S-TMM. 


No comments:

Post a Comment