Tuesday, July 10, 2012

VBS plans

Geoff's parents, Kris and Gary, hosted us for several hours Sunday afternoon while we hammered out the broad strokes of the VBS plan for the days we are in Madang.  We have a good curriculum that is based on creation and basic apologetics, and there is a theme park theme connecting it all.  It may sound like it doesn't fit together, but it really does.  Now it's just a matter of us taking the curriculum and making sure that we adjust it to work well with our situation.  One of the most common questions we find ourselves asking that most VBS planners do not (I assume) is: "What will that weigh?"  Whatever we take needs to be packed and taken over by the six of us.  The good part is everything we take for the program can be left there, but we have to be really careful about what we choose. 

Thankfully, Kris has had a lot of experience in this area, and one of her great ideas is using a sheet as a backdrop.  We can paint on it and then take it, as opposed to anything else that is cumbersome or heavy. 

It is a blessing to see the team come together and talk things through.  It is especially great to see people be able to focus on aspects of the trip/VBS that we are particularly passionate about.  As I read through the information about the VBS and the different areas, I found myself thinking that probably everyone would want to do what I wanted to do.  Why?  Because it is the BEST area...clearly the most fun, the most exciting, just THE BEST.  But I was relieved that when it came down to assigning and volunteering for pieces of the puzzles, no one else battled me for it. 

I get to do what I'm most drawn to.  And I think that is the case for all of us.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to do anything else than what I am doing, and I feel a little bit sorry for everyone else because they don't get to do my piece. 

By now, I am sure that you are on the edge of your seat thinking, I certainly hope Theresa tells us what part she is responsible for.  Well, after much arm twisting, here goes.

Snacks. 

When it's summed up like that, it doesn't sound like much (and in case you are wondering, yes, I will have more responsibilities on the trip than just putting together snacks for VBS). 

Keep in mind we have a theme park sort of concept.  My area is called the concession stand.  We're doing snacks that fit the theme...popcorn, caramel apples (where the kids get to choose their own toppings!), and something that doesn't really fit the park theme but does work with creation: create your own dinosaur.  Even if you are not all that impressed with my choice now, wait until you see pics from the actual event.  It's going to be fantastic.

Being excited about something so mundane reminds me that God can choose anything and anyone he wants to be significant.  Jesus' first miracle centered around a beverage.  One of my favorite accounts in the NT talks about what happened when a boy offered up what he had (in this case, food--see?!?!), Jesus gave thanks for it and fed, oh, several thousand people, and then had more left over than what he started with. 

So, what's he going to do with a caramel apple dipped in m and m's?  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment